Skills and Proficiencies
Programs and Tools I have advanced (3+ years) experience with are
- Languages & Tools:
Bash Scripting, SQL,
Java, Rust, OCaml,
- Server Platforms:
Amazon Web Services (
EC2, RDS, Lambda,
DigitalOcean, Google Cloud
- Backend Software:
Citrix, VMWare ESXi,
- Operating Systems:
- 8 years Linux/Unix power-user, in
Ubuntu (12.04 - 21.04)
- Fedora (25 - 32)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Mac (10.10 - 10.15)
Windows (XP - 10)
- RISC OS
- IGEL OS
- Android (4.4 - 11)
- IoT Devices and Platforms: Raspberry Pi (
3B+, 3A+, 4),
Arduino, Google Assistant
- Sensors: PureThermal + FLIR Lepton Thermal Sensor, Fiber Optic Communication Hardware
- Fabrication Technologies:
3D Printing (
PLA and ABS), Slicer (
Ultimaker Cura, Slic3r), CAD (
Autodesk Fusion 360, Inventor,
Sketchup), 3D Scanning (Skanect),
- University of Maryland, College Park
- Bachelor of Science in
- August 2017 - December 2021
- Relevant Coursework:
Software Engineering, Algorithms,
Intro to Compilers, and Applied Probability & Statistics
High Risk Public Trust (6C), Jerusalem Science Contest Winner, 2016; 2nd at JHacks Hackathon
- Founder and
President (2017 - 2019) of the
Linux Club at University of Maryland, College Park
- Code: github.com/MatanyaLoewenthal
NELNET INC. (Denver, Colorado)
Intern, IT Analytics - Desktop Support (June 2021 - Present)
- Managing Enterprise Environments: Maintained and Troubleshooted both in-house and cloud based secure workspaces and distributed applications on both modern servers and legacy mainframes.
- Software Engineering and Prototyping: Created two software programs for Nelnet.
CampusKey Eventer was made for a hackathon (1st place) and
VoiceToMap in my free time. Both are available on GitHub.
- Processes and Documentation: Utilized available processes, tools, and documentation to execute assigned tasks and improve workflow efficiency involving sensitive data and legacy hardware.
- Data Security and Compliance: Learned and applied protocols to protect sensitive client data.
- (Microsoft Productivity Suite, Security, Enterprise & Legacy Systems)
JOINT INSTITUTE FOR LABORATORY ASTROPHYSICS (JILA) (Boulder, Colorado)
Intern, Lab Assistant (Mar 2017 - May 2017)
- Sensor and Optics Installation: Assisted Dr. Josh H. Baraban, Ph.D., with research in the JILA Ye Group lab and with the CU Boulder Chemistry department on an optically accessible pyrolysis microreactor (doi: 10.1063/1.4939459), as well as Laser-comb Molecular Spectroscopy (doi: 10.1364/OE.27.001911)
- Systems Integration: Programmed the FLIR Lepton within the PureThermal ecosystem to connect with data collecting and processing software for real-time analysis of pyrolysis microreactor effectiveness and efficiencies. Also designed and printed mounting/shielding apparatus for Lepton.
- (Python, Matlab, Optical Systems, IoT Devices)
PRESENTENSE COLORADO FELLOWSHIP (Denver, Colorado)
Fellow, Student Advisor (Aug 2016 - May 2017)
- Prototyping: Designed and built several iterations of a prototype system for verifying and auditing the status of the East Denver Eruv, as well as gathering statistics for focused maintenance and repair.
- Professional Writing: Applied for and received a $1000 grant through PresenTense Colorado, a social and technological accelerator for teens, which was used for developing a Fiber Optic based solution.
- Budgeting: Designed and built several iterations of the prototype, within budget and on time.
-(Leadership, Fusion 360, Systems Integration, Fiber Optic Networking)
RECREATIONAL EQUIPMENT INC. (Washington, DC)
Retail Sales Specialist (August 2020 - December 2020)
- Teamwork: Worked with a team of over 100 employees to help customers choose appropriate outdoor gear, provide Customer Service, organize inventory, and simplify both product packaging and shipping.
- On-The-Job Learning: Analyzed thousands of products and became certified in backpacking, cycling, climbing, running, and skiing, effectively providing expert advice to hundreds of customers.
- Training Skills: Mentored several new hires in above departments by providing advice and instruction, as well as supervision while learning our procedures.
- (Leadership, Teamwork, Training, Communication)
Hobbies: Homelabbing, Long distance backpacking (Colorado Trail 2020, Appalachian Trail 2021), Outdoor Adventure Sports